Tres Leches Cake is perfect for Cinco De Mayo. Today is the day to go ahead and get this cake made. Your family will love the amazing tastes that all come together with these three milks in the middle of this yummy cake and then topped with one more milk called CREAM!
You will want to top it off with some beautiful strawberries, raspberries or even go ahead and just sprinkle some cinnamon on the top. It is a nice finish after your delicious street tacos.
My son served as a missionary for 2 years in Peru, and he told me that they have amazing Tres Leches Cake, and that while he was there, they bought a Tres Leches Cake for $100 for a party. WOW! Now you can feel really good about making and serving this cake.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Tres Leches Cake?
- Cake flour
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Whole milk
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Evaporated milk
- Heavy cream
- Powdered or granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries, raspberries, or cinnamon, for garnishing
How Do I Make Tres Leches Cake?
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and the salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until it is light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, blending until well blended.
- Add the vanilla.
- Next add the flour mixture, and mix just to combine, scrape the sides and then stir for 30 more seconds.
- Place the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 22 – 26 minutes.
- Remove from oven and then cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together milk, sweetened condensed milk, and the evaporated milk.
- With a large fork, (one like you use to serve meat), poke a lot of holes into the cake.
- Pour the milk mixture over the cake and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 – 6 hours.
- In a medium bowl, place the cream.
- With a hand mixer, whip the cream until it is thick.
- Next, add the sugar and vanilla extract, stir to combine.
- Spread the cream over the cake, then garnish with strawberries, raspberries or cinnamon.
What Country is Tres Leches Cake From?
- The origin of Tres Leches, the three milk cake now associated with Mexico, is highly disputed; it’s history is not.
- It is pretty easy to track how this cake became so famous within Mexico, and how it is now associated with Mexico.
If I Do Not Have Cake Flour for my Tres Leches Cake, How Can I Make It?
- If you do not have cake flour, you can make your own.
- Just add 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch to 1 cup of all purpose flour.
Does Tres Leches Cake Need Refrigeration?
- Yes, tres leche cake does need to be refrigerated.
- It has three different milks that are not cooked into the cake.
- Do not leave the cake unrefrigerated for more than 4 hours at a time.
- It should keep well in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
Tips and Tricks for Tres Leches Cake:
- Sift cake flour, as it is super fine and clumps easily, but sifting will break up any clumps.
- Use room temperature eggs, as that helps the mixture blend better.
- Make sure to soak the cake with the milk mixture for at least 6 hours for a really moist delicious cake.
- Tres Leches Cake is best served chilled.
- For some added deliciousness, garnish with strawberries, raspberries or cinnamon.
More Delicious Cakes For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 302Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 111mgSodium 170mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 0gSugar 18gProtein 5g