This amazing Velvety Red Velvet Cake made from scratch, was the perfect way to celebrate the three birthdays that we have this month. One of the birthdays is my husband and the other two are two of my sweet grand babies and they are both turning 1 year old. My husband is just a little bit older ha ha.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Velvety Red Velvet Cake?
- Red food coloring
- Cake flour
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
How Do I Make Velvety Red Velvet Cake?
- Mix vinegar and baking soda in a cup and let it stand.
- Cream sugar, butter, and eggs, in a separate bowl.
- Make a paste out of the cocoa and a 1/4 of one of the bottles of red food coloring in a short glass, glass; then add it to the creamed mixture.
- Add the rest of the food coloring, vanilla, buttermilk, salt and the flour.
- Slowly, add the soda and vinegar mixture.
- Then mix the cake very well.
- Grease 2 8″ cake pans: I also like to place a piece of waxed paper in the bottom of each pan to prevent them from sticking.
- Bake In a 350 degrees oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting.
For our Birthday celebration, we enjoyed a nice Sunday dinner consisting of a wonderful pot roast, homemade rolls, pasta salad, cooked baby carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy. And then we finished with some Velvety Red Velvet Cake and ice cream.
We also played some fun games and my grand kids got every toy out that they could find. Yikes! Their poor parents cleaned for 30 minutes. It sure looked better than before the mess was made. Score for me!
What is Velvety Red Velvet Cake?
- People ask if this Is a chocolate cake.
- Or they wonder if it Is a vanilla cake.
- Basically, it is a chocolate cake made with a relatively small amount of cocoa powder, which makes the chocolate taste fairly mild.
- The cocoa reacts with the acidic vinegar and buttermilk, and helps make the cake moist, smooth, and fluffy.
- Even though the chocolate taste is fairly mild, the flavors are delicately rich.
- I’ve heard this cake described as mesmerizing, and I think that that may be a perfect description for it!
My sister who has passed away shared this Velvety Red Velvet Cake recipe with me about 35 years ago. I like to make it for special occasions and this was a perfect occasion for it, and a good chance to put it on the blog.
Since love is in the air at our home, here it is!
More Delicious Cakes For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 218Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 39mgSodium 295mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 0gSugar 20gProtein 3g