Pretzel Salad can be either a salad or a dessert. It is very rich, but then the pretzels are crunchy, so that gives the dish another texture and another taste.
Our family loves when the holidays roll around and family gets together to have dinner. I think that this is one of those salads that really is a dessert, but when you call it a salad, it makes one feel like it is a little healthier. Ha ha.
Whatever you call it we all love it and we eat it with our Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, but you can use it for any special occasion.
We love the crunch on the bottom of the salad, and like the recipe says, you can use Ritz crackers or pretzels, and either one is so yummy. The creamy center has cream cheese and either whip topping or if you are a farm girl like me, you use real cream that has been sweetened with a little vanilla and just a little powdered sugar.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Pretzel Salad?
- Pretzels or crushed Ritz crackers
- Raspberry gelatin (or any flavor that you want)
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Whipped topping (or a pint of whipping cream)
- Frozen fruit (raspberries, strawberries, mandarin oranges, etc.)
How Do I Make Pretzel Salad?
- Mix together pretzels or crackers, 4 1/2 Tablespoons of sugar, and butter.
- Press in the bottom of a 9″ X 13″ pan.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Dissolve gelatin in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Chill until the gelatin is partly set up.
- Blend cream cheese, powdered sugar, and whipped topping together. (If using whipping cream, whip it first, then add powdered sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla).
- Place this mixture on top of the crust.
- Then add the raspberries and then the gelatin that has been lightly set.
First you cook the crust and then allow it to cool completely so that your filling doesn’t melt and make the crust go soggy. Then after you have put the filling in go ahead and make your Jell-o. Just remember not to let it set up too much.
Boil your water and add your Jell-o, then let it set for 5 minutes. Then I like to add frozen fruit simply because this allows the jello to set up a little faster. To tell the truth I usually use one package of fresh fruit and 12 ounce package of frozen fruit.
We hope that you love this amazing salad as much as our family does.
This is a must for special family occasions or neighborhood gatherings. We have this every Thanksgiving. It is the salad to make when you are just craving a good salad with raspberries, strawberries, mandarin oranges, or whatever fruit that you like. We love the crunch that the pretzels give this salad.
You might think of this as a dessert, with the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and whipped topping (or whipping cream) mixture. Kids, neighbors, and everyone, will love this, and the pan will come home empty!
More Delicious Fruit Salads For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 149Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 23mgSodium 152mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 1g