In honor of Mother’s Day, I decided to post a Cool Whip Salad. You might think that that is a strange post for Mother’s day, but I think that it is the perfect post. This is the perfect recipe for an overwhelmed, busy mother!
Cool Whip Salad was my mother’s go to dish when she needed something quick for a family, church, or other gathering. I remember thinking that it didn’t seem like she put much thought into it when I saw other’s dishes that had been brought that other people had spent hours making.
Now I understand that when you have 8 children, a husband, live on a farm, have a job, and everything else that she had to do, that you are lucky to get anything made at all and then get to the gathering with the dish.
A lot of times, she had us make the cool whip salad while she was making something else. We were at a family gathering and were talking about how this was my mother’s go to dish for a potluck.
Several of my nieces said that grandma had taught them how to make this salad too and that she had them make it when they were getting ready to go to a potluck. So this salad is definitely a family tradition that my mother started and carried on to at least a couple of generations!
What Ingredients Do I Need For Cool Whip Salad?
Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need to make this Salad (scroll down for the full recipe):
- Cool whip
- Peach Jello
- Cottage cheese
- Mandarin oranges
How Do I Make Cool Whip Salad?
Here’s the simple steps you’ll follow to make this Salad (scroll down for the full recipe):
- In a medium bowl, mix Cool whip, Jello, and cottage cheese.
- Fold in the mandarin oranges.
I really liked (and still do) the cool whip salad. Some people make it without the cottage cheese, but I do like it with the cottage cheese. Another thing that I really like about Cool Whip Salad is that you can change the flavor of the Jello, and add different fruits to make it a different salad.
Happy Mother’s Day to my mother. I love and miss you. And Happy Mother’s Day to all of the other Mother’s out there! Just remember four simple ingredients and you will have an amazing salad.
What is Cool Whip?
- Cool Whip is a brand of imitation whipped cream, referred to as a whipped topping.
- It has a longer shelf life than cream while frozen.
- On the other hand, it does not have the same flavor and texture as whipped cream.
Can I Use Real Whipping Cream in Cool Whip Salad?
- No, don’t use real whipping cream in this salad.
- Usually I prefer to use real whipping cream in my recipes (I do think that growing up on a dairy farm has something to do with that).
- As I said above, Cool Whip does not have the same flavor and texture as whipped cream.
- But this recipe is all about the Cool Whip. That flavor and texture mixed with the other ingredients make this salad the delicious salad that it is.
You can use any kind of fruit and any kind of Jello, but peach is our very favorite with mandarin oranges. My mom use to do strawberry and fruit cocktail because that is what we had on hand, but I don’t really enjoy fruit cocktail too much any more.
You can add bananas if you like as well, right before you serve the salad. I don’t, because bananas don’t like me! Ya pretty rude right, I like them!!!
I would love to hear from any of you that actually had some of my mother’s “famous Cool Whip Salad” or from any of you that had Cool Whip Salad growing up. What was your mother’s go to dish?
More Delicious Fruit Salads For You:
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool whip
- 1 (3 ounce) package peach jello
- 1 (16 ounce) container cottage cheese
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- In a medium bowl, mix Cool whip, jello, and cottage cheese.
- Fold in the mandarin oranges.
Amount Per Serving Calories 39Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 2mgSodium 50mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 2g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix