Acini De Pepe Salad, aka Frog Eye Salad. I think that the reason my daughter won’t eat this acini de pepe salad aka frog eye salad is because she doesn’t care for frog eyes. HA ha. It is loaded with fruit and mixed with pasta.
This Acini De Pepe Salad aka frog eye salad is one of our favorite salads for a family reunion. It reminds me of the get togethers we use to have when my sweet mother-in-law use to bring such amazing food. She loved to cook and we loved to eat, so we got along very well.
We had a fun family reunion with my family this weekend. So I knew that we would need a lot of food. So I picked this salad because it does feed a lot of people. And it tastes really nice and sweet. I do love mandarin orange and pineapple together.
What is Acini De Pepe?
- Acini di Pepe are very small pasta, about the size of peppercorns (hence their name, which means peppercorns in Italian).
- They are made from semolina.
We had a great time this weekend. We had a family reunion at my brother’s home in Idaho (the home where I grew up). We rode motorcycles and side-by-sides. There are really some beautiful mountains up in that area.
After, lunch, some of them went and caught some fish. My granddaughter caught a bigger fish than her older brother and that didn’t make him very happy. They caught trout.
I must take their trout to their house today, because we brought them home to our house and every time I open the fridge, I feel bad because they are looking me in the face and I guess I am feeling kinda bad for them. I know that they are fish and we eat fish, I just don’t like when they still have the head, and the eyes are looking at me!
What Ingredients Do I Need For Acini De Pepe Salad AKA Frog Eye Salad?
- 1 (16 ounce) package Acini De Pepe macaroni
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained (reserve juice)
- 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 12 ounces cool whip
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsps flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups pineapple juice, from reserve
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
How Do I Make Acini De Pepe Salad AKA Frog Eye Salad?
- Drain 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks or tidbits (reserve juice), and 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine 1 cup sugar, 2 Tbsps flour, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Beat 3 egg yolks and add 1 3/4 cups reserved pineapple juice to them. Add this mixture to the other ingredients in the sauce pan.
- Cook over medium heat and stir until thick.
- Cook 16 ounces Acini De Pepe according to package directions. (Boil water with a tsp salt, it takes 8-10 minutes, but do not overcook). Drain, rinse and cool.
- In a very large bowl, add macaroni to egg mixture and refrigerate overnight.
- This allows the sauce to flavor the noodles.
- The next day; or at least 2 hours later, add pineapple and oranges (that are very well drained), 1 cup miniature marshmallows and 12 ounces Whipped topping.
- Keep refrigerated.
- This keeps for about 5 or 6 days.
What is a Good Substitute for Acini de Pepe?
After fishing, we went to the small town where I attended middle school and high school (12 miles from my childhood home) where they were having the county fair. First we went to the parade. That was fun because my brother was in the parade for his 40th class reunion.
I sure don’t know how that happened. How do we get this age so fast? I still think in my head that I am the same age that I was in high school. It is fun to go back home and see friends. However, it is sometimes a little sad because things change.
I know that they never stay the same, but I guess that when you had a great childhood, you just hope that all things are the same. However, I know that that cannot happen. People pass on and new people with new ideas come.
And so I guess that is why it is good that I will have this blog for kids and grand kids to visit. We are blessed to have such a great place to live and we are so blessed to have so much.
How to Store Acini De Pepe Salad AKA Frog Eye Salad:
- Frog Eye Salad should be placed in an airtight container and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days.
- Stir before serving.
- If it separates, mix together again.
And one of the best things that we enjoy at the fair, is a hamburger. That is one thing that never changes; a great hamburger off the grill at the fair. Just different people cooking it. Yum. Do you like to eat burgers at the fair?
One other thing that is the same is the animals out in the barns. I know that they are different animals, but they are still there. Thank heavens; it is always fun to go see the animals.
I hope that you all get a chance to go and visit a fair this year. We did forget to get scones, So I guess that I will have to make some and have a few friends over. There is no way that I can eat too many of them. But we do usually get one at the fair, with honey butter. My family did enjoy the Acini De Pepe Salad AKA Frog Eye Salad. I hope that you all have an amazing day.
Tips and Tricks For Acini De Pepe Salad AKA Frog Eye Salad:
- If you do not have time to let the Acini De Pepe marinate, overnight, just make sure that you allow it marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Some people like to add bananas, if you do, make sure to add them right before serving.
- If you like, you could add 1 cup of coconut.
- White marshmallows work well too.
More Delicious Fruit Salad Recipes For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 146Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 28mgSodium 67mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 0gSugar 20gProtein 1g