Tamale Pie is is a great one dish meal. It is packed with so many delicious ingredients that combine to make a filling dish. You won’t need to add anything else to this meal.
Tamale Pie is such a fun dish. It has the taste of chili topped with cornbread and mixed into one dish. This recipe reminds me of growing up on the farm. We had cornbread quite a bit and we had chili often as well, but we never had them together like this.
I think that my mother would have appreciated the simplicity of a meal like this. She often worked long hours out on the farm with the rest of us and having to make dinner when she came in must have been very tiring, but she never complained. I appreciate the hours that she spent in the kitchen cooking, a lot more now that I have a family.
I guess that maybe she never complained, because like me, cooking was one of the ways that she said “I love you” to those that she cooked for. May we all appreciate those who have served us in the past and those who continue to serve us.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Tamale Pie?
- Minced garlic
- Black beans
- Diced green chilies
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Baking powder
How Do I Make Tamale Pie?
- To prepare chili, brown the meat in a large skillet. Add onion and cook until tender. Drain off the liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Put the chili in a 9″ X 13″ pan or a 12″ Dutch oven.
- To prepare the cornbread, mix in a separate bowl all of the dry ingredients.
- Make a dip in the center and add wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Place the cornbread on top of the chili.
- Cover and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the cornbread tests done.
- I like to take the lid or cover off for the last 10 minutes to brown up the cornbread.
More Mexican Main Dishes For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 423Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 71mgSodium 1074mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 8gSugar 14gProtein 17g