Cheesy Mexican Casserole is a wonderful meal. It is loaded with healthy ingredients and a few that might not be too healthy. So I guess that makes a nice balance.
My boys like this casserole and the best part of all is that they will even make it! It is wonderful and makes up fast. That is the way to do it, find something that they like and then teach them to make it.
I am pretty sure that this is the go to recipe when my married son is in charge of making dinner for him and his wife. I will say “what”s for dinner”? and he will usually say” Cheesy Mexican Casserole”. I think that that is wonderful. They have a new baby and with his wife working a few hours a week, he gets to take his turn in the kitchen. Good for him I say.
Take time out today to teach your kids how to make this yummy dish. I’m pretty sure you will be glad that you did. Don’t forget, this will give you more time to play together. And there is nothing better than that.
Cheesy Mexican Casserole is a Quick and Easy Dinner Idea:
Quick and Easy Versus From Scratch:
- We really like to make things from scratch, but sometimes we really just need a quick and easy dinner idea.
- Since starting this blog, we have also come to realize that many people are looking for quick and easy recipes.
- Not everybody wants to take the time to make things completely from scratch.
- Really it is up to you. Only you know how much time you have, what mood you are in, what ingredients you have on hand, and your particular situation on any given day.
- We feel like it’s better for our bodies to cook from scratch and we just plain like to cook.
- However, this is one of those times when we are going to use canned refried beans, canned soup, canned tomato sauce, and canned green chilis.
- Of course, you can make your own of any of these ingredients and use what you have made, but this recipe is going the quick and easy route.
- These canned ingredients make this recipe quick and easy, and they taste great in this Cheesy Mexican Casserole.
I have to remind myself of the idea of taking time to play; growing up on a farm, we didn’t do too much of that. There were cows to milk, hay to haul, and all kinds of chores.
Now days, I am usually looking for some work for my kids to do. Yes there are usually dishes, but for some reason, some of them don’t love doing dishes. I think that I had better buy some cows for them to milk! That way, I am sure they would love washing dishes. Enjoy the Cheesy Mexican Casserole.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Cheesy Mexican Casserole?
- Ground beef
- Chopped onion or dried
- Garlic clove
- Refried beans
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Tomato sauce
- Can green chilies, chopped
- Doritos Nacho Cheese Chips
- Cheddar or Colby cheese
- Monterrey Jack cheese
- Can tomatoes with green chilies
How Do I Make Cheesy Mexican Casserole?
- Brown ground beef, onion, and minced garlic in a large skillet; drain well.
- Add refried beans, cream of mushroom soup, tomato sauce, and green chilies, chopped, stir together and set this aside.
- In a 9 ” X 13″ greased pan, cover bottom with one layer of crushed Dorito Nacho Cheese Chips.
- Add several large spoonfuls of bean and hamburger mixture, then sprinkle with cheese (both kinds).
- Continue layering in same way one more time; making two layers.
- If desired, top with tomatoes with green chilies, spreading to cover.
- Top with more cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Growing up on a farm, did make me appreciate the jobs that I now have. I get to work inside where the temperature stays nice and warm or cool. Also, it is a lot funner to wash dishes than it is to wash milkers.
It is also a lot nicer to cut someone’s hair than it is to be hit in the face with a cows tail, especially if the tail has ice balls on the end of it. Yep that is not fun at all. I remember my face being so cold and then one of those sweet cows would swing her tail and wack, smack me in the face.
Which Ground Beef Tastes The Best?
Usually, the fuller fat ground beef tastes the best, but there are other things to be considered.
Ground Beef – 73% Lean, 27% Fat
73% Lean is the most flavorful of all the ground beefs because of the fat in it. This also make it the most juicy, which is good, but you’ll have a good amount of fat to drain off.
This is a great option for a burger or a dish where ground beef is pretty much the whole dish.
Ground Chuck – 80% Lean, 20% Fat
An 80/20 is what we use most often when we are cooking with ground beef. It has enough fat to keep things juicy and still really taste that great beef flavor.
Ground Sirloin – 85% Lean, 15% Fat
Ground Sirloin is another great option, but the fat number is getting a little low. We often cook with this because it is a little healthier and still isn’t as dry as a 90% Lean.
Ground Round – 90% Lean, 10 % Fat
90% is very lean and cooks up a lot drier because of the low fat. However, that is not a problem if you’re adding it into a recipe like a saucy pasta, casserole, or soup.
Any of these grades will be fine in this Cheesy Mexican Casserole. Usually Ground Round and Ground Sirloin are best in chilis, soups, sauces, etc; while Ground Chuck and Ground Beef (the fattier grades of ground beef) are best for burgers, meatloaf, etc.
I can truly say that I have been very blessed in my life, my husband has provided for me very well, and I have done a few jobs outside of the home, but not outside in the heat or cold. I am very appreciative of all that I have.
And I have been enjoying getting rid of some of the extra stuff that I have that I no longer need. I love seeing the extra space around the house where there use to be a lot of things. Some of the bedrooms in my home are empty. However, I think it is time to find a extra bed, so when family and friends come to visit, there will always be enough room and everyone will feel welcome.
Tips and Tricks for Cheesy Mexican Casserole:
- This Cheesy Mexican Casserole can be made ahead of time and then put in the refrigerator, but if you do, make sure and give it about 10 extra minutes, as it will take extra time to get up to temperature.
- You can use just one kind of cheese like Cheddar, if you do not want to use more than one kind.
- I also like to cook hamburger ahead of time and put it in a baggie in the freezer. This helps make this dish come together a little quicker.
When I was young and people came to stay at our home, I would sleep on the floor and give up my bedroom, no questions asked. So I have had my kids do the same thing. They might complain a little, but I tell them that they better get over it mighty fast.
I also know that some people do not like when people come to their home and spend the night. I think it is great, and sometimes I even fix them breakfast or dinner. Cheesy Mexican Casserole is a great meal for when people are coming to spend the evening. It works up fairly quickly and it goes a long way.
Other Quick and Easy Recipes:
Cheesy Mexican Casserole is a quick and easy Main Dish recipe that your family will love. This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix
Cheesy Mexican Casserole
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 407Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 91mgSodium 817mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 26g
Cheesy Mexican Casserole is a quick and easy Main Dish recipe that your family will love.
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix
I made this casserole. We really liked it. I did add a tablespoon of
taco seasoning, to the sauce. Everyone asked to have it again.
I am so glad! Thank you for your sweet comment. I love your idea of adding a Tablespoon taco seasoning, I will have to try it next time! Thanks for your support!
Could I use fiesta nacho cheese soup instead of cream of mushroom?
I have never tried it, but if you like fiesta nacho cheese soup, you could try it. Let me know how it works out! And thank you so much for coming by.
I make a casserole like this but use enchilada sauce instead of tomato sauce, and chili beans instead of refried beans….very good!
That sounds delicious. I love variations of recipes. So often changing up a recipe a bit, makes it your own! Thank you for the comment.