Authentic Homemade Mexican Horchata is a very refreshing drink, and just in time to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. Horchata also has some cinnamon which is great for helping build your immune system. Why not celebrate by yourself, or with whoever you live with. It’s time to celebrate life and enjoy what we have.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Authentic Homemade Mexican Horchata?
- Long grain rice
- Cinnamon sticks
- Whole milk or high fat almond milk
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
How Do I Make Authentic Homemade Mexican Horchata?
- In the blender, place 2 cups of water and the rice, blend for 30 seconds.
- In a large bowl, combine the rest of the water, the rice mixture, sugar, and the cinnamon sticks, and stir well.
- Allow this mixture to soak for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Strain the mixture through a fine strainer or cheese clothe or other clothe that will allow the liquid to run through.
- Then you can stir it well and place in the refrigerator to chill, or add the mixture to ice.
What is Horchata?
- Horchata is Mexico’s famous cinnamon-infused rice water drink.
Can I Make Authentic Homemade Mexican Horchata, Dairy Free?
- You can make Horchata without milk.
- Use almond milk for the whole milk, per the instructions.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Authentic Homemade Mexican Horchata:
- Use a blender to get more flavor from the rice and cinnamon.
- Use whole cinnamon sticks for the best flavor.
- Allow ample time to soak, allowing for the flavors of the rice and cinnamon to be absorbed into the water.
- Make sure that you strain your mixture well, to prevent having a gritty drink.
- Horchata is best served well chilled over ice.
More Mexican Food Ideas:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 112Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 5mgSodium 26mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 2g