Scotcheroos Rice Krispies Treats just in time for Valentine’s Day. Packed with chewy goodness and topped off with butterscotch chips and either milk chocolate chips or semi sweet! You get to choose.
These Scotcheroos Rice Krispies Treats are simple to make and they whip up fast. The hardest part is waiting for them to set up, just because no one wants to wait.
One of my co-workers, just had a birthday, and I asked him what he wanted for a treat. He told me he doesn’t care for cake and that he really likes cereal treats. Right away, I knew just what to make and then I told him that he didn’t have to share his Scotcheroos Rice Kripsies Treats with anyone else. Ha ha, and guess what, he did share!
What Ingredients Do I Need For Scotcheroos Rice Krispies Treats?
- Karo syrup
- Peanut butter (regular or chunky)
- Rice Krispies cereal
- Butterscotch chips
- Milk or semi sweet chocolate chips
How Do I Make Scotcheroos Rice Krispies Treats?
- In large microwave safe bowl, place the Karo syrup and the sugar; microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove form the microwave and add the peanut butter.
- Add the Rice Krispies, and stir together.
- Place the mixture in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Smooth the mixture.
- In small microwave safe bowl, mix the butterscotch chips and the chocolate chips.
- Melt in the microwave on power level 5, in 30 second increments until the chocolate melts.
- Mix until smooth.
- Spread over the top of the Rice Krispies.
- Allow the treats to cool and then cut into squares.
Just look at that rich creamy chocolate mixed with the butterscotch chips.
Why Are These Treats Called Scotcheroos?
- Scotcheroos got their name after one of the key ingredients used in the preparation process – butterscotch.
- Although not much is known about the invention of these crunchy treats, the recipe was originally printed on boxes of Rice Krispies in the 1960s.
Tips and Tricks For Scotcheroos Rice Krispies Treats?
- To speed up the cooling time, I like to sit my treats in the fridge for a few minutes; however, let them get back to room temperature before eating them.
- They will store on the cupboard in a air tight container 4-5 days, if they last that long.
- I have only used Rice Krispies cereal, but I know that you could also use Cheerios.
More Recipes For Delicious Treats Made With Cereal:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 450Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 1mgSodium 375mgCarbohydrates 82gFiber 1gSugar 33gProtein 8g