Potato Cheese soup is so rich and creamy that this will soon be your favorite go to soup. You will love this soup because it is fast and delicious. It is a great soup to make on a cold day. If you add some corn bread or some biscuits, you will have a complete meal.
I got this recipe out of one of my cookbooks that I received for Christmas one year. The first time I tried it, I knew it was a keeper. Every year we get about 100 bags of Idaho potatoes and then we sell them to our neighbors.
I am always so happy when I get my new batch of potatoes, mostly because they are so nice and big. Also, I have a nice variety. We have three kinds, Russet, Reds, and Yukon Gold. I have my favorite potatoes that I use in different recipes.
I use to make Potato Cheese Soup with russet potatoes, but then I tried the Yukon Golds. They are my favorite potatoes in the Potato Cheese Soup. It seems to me that they are a little bit firmer potato, and they seem to hold their shape and they do not cook down as much.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Potato Cheese Soup?
- Chicken broth
- Diced potatoes
How Do I Make Potato Cheese Soup?
- Pour the chicken broth into a large pot.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion and cook in the broth until tender.
- Whisk flour into cream and slowly add the vegetables.
- Cook on medium heat until it thickens up.
- Add salt and pepper. Turn on low and wait for about 5 minutes, then add the cheese.
- Do not boil soup after adding the cheese, or it makes it separate from the cream.
- I like it well blended, as it is a little more creamy.
- If it does separate it is not a big deal. It still tastes good.
I haven’t met anyone who has had anything bad to say about this soup. Most people like a little substance to their soup, so I use the Yukon gold potatoes because they do not dissolve into the soup like russet potatoes do.
I believe you could also try red potatoes, because they are a lot like the Yukon’s. You will like this soup no matter what kind of potatoes you use. You can even try some crackers with it, or dip a nice slice of french bread in the Cheesy Potato Soup.
Tips and Tricks For Potato Cheese Soup:
- If you like carrots, put them in. If you do not, it is just fine, the flavor will still be amazing.
- Try any kind of potato that you want; if you use Russet, just make sure that you do not overcook them. I have had them turn to pretty much thickening, leaving no potato chunks.
- For added flavor, add some cooked bacon if you like!
The other day, my cute granddaughters came to stay and they love this soup. They will gobble up a bowl full of Cheesy Potato Soup in no time at all. And another thing that I can’t figure out is why they are so good when mom and dad are not around.
I never had a bit of trouble with them. We did kinda just play and have a good time, but when it was time to go to bed, they both went to bed. But do not forget to brush both of their teeth, or they will let you know about it. Ha Ha!
There is a lot of the time, when I am not sure what to have for dinner and so I will make Cheesy Potato Soup. One of the reasons, is that I have all the ingredients and another is because it works up so fast, and last but not least, everyone really enjoys it.
More Tasty Soups For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 465Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 99mgSodium 947mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 13g