Easy dutch oven potatoes are one of the most popular side dishes cooked in a dutch oven. If you have a dutch oven you can always place it in the oven or you can cook these while camping. Your family will love them.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Easy Dutch Oven Potatoes?
- Seasoning salt
- Apple juice, water, or Sprite
How Do I Make Easy Dutch Oven Potatoes?
- Scrub and peel the potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes in even slices.
- Place a few slices of butter in the bottom of the dutch oven.
- Start layering the potatoes.
- Layer about 1/4 of the dutch oven with potatoes and 1/4 of the onion.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper and just about 1/8 teaspoon of seasoning salt.
- Repeat the layers 2-3 more times.
- I also like to add about 1/4 cup of liquid, like water, apple juice or Sprite.
- Place in an oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees. We cooked ours on the Trager for 55 minutes.
- Make sure that your dutch oven is full because it will cook down about 1/3.
- About 5 minutes before the potatoes are done, add the cheese, give the potatoes about another 5 minutes.
- Do not stir or add any liquid, just enjoy.
Tips and Tricks For Easy Dutch Oven Potatoes?
- What kind of onion goes good with potatoes? I like to use a purple sweet one, but any are fantastic.
- People love to add bacon, but it is best to cook the bacon a little before you start your potatoes. Brown the bacon for a few minutes before adding the potatoes.
- What kind of cheese is good to add? I use whatever I have on hand, or you can use sharp.
If I Use Briquettes to Cook with my Dutch Oven, How Many Do I Use?
- As a general rule for using briquettes with dutch ovens: take the size of the dutch oven and times it by two.
- Then take 2/3 of the briquettes and place them on top of the lid and place the rest underneath your dutch oven.
- For example, when using a 10″ dutch oven; you would need 20 briquettes; 12 on top of the lid and 8 underneath your dutch oven.
More Delicious Potato Recipes For You:
* As a general rule for using briquettes with dutch ovens: take the size of the dutch oven and times it by two. Then take 2/3 of the briquettes and place them on top of the lid and place the rest underneath your dutch oven. For example, when using a 10" dutch oven; you would need 20 briquettes; 12 on top of the lid and 8 underneath your dutch oven.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 201Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 44mgSodium 294mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 6g