Dinner In A Pumpkin is such a wonderful family tradition for your family.
This is a fun meal for this time of year. We love to make this every year around Halloween. It has become a treasured family tradition that we all look forward to. It is fun to look for just the right pumpkin, draw a face on the pumpkin, and then share it. Have fun with this dish!
1 hour 30 minutes
2 hours 30 minutes
1 medium pumpkin (thoroughly cleaned inside and out)
1 - 2 lbs ground beef (cooked)
1 small onion or 2 Tbsps dried onion
2 Tbsps brown sugar
2 Tbsps soy sauce
1 (10 1/2 oz) can cream of chicken soup or mushroom
1/2 soup can of milk
1 (15 oz) can green beans or corn or both
1 (4 oz) can mushrooms (drained) optional
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts (drained)
- Find a pumpkin that sits nice and level. If you can, find one that isn't too thick so it is easier to clean out.
- Cut off the top, I like to cut a little V shape in the front and also angle the knife inward at a slant, so the top doesn't fall in when cooking.
- With a permanent marker draw a cute face on the pumpkin.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and the onion. Remove any excess oil with paper towels.
- Add brown sugar, soy sauce, soup, milk, green beans or corn or both, and mushrooms.Stir well. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add rice that has been cooked, and chestnuts.
- Place mixture into the cleaned out pumpkin. Set the top of the pumpkin on and place pumpkin on a baking sheet.
- Place on the bottom rack of oven that has been preheated to 375 degrees. Bake 1 1/2 hours or until the inside of the pumpkin is soft. You can test it by removing the lid and poking with a fork.
- Place pumpkin on a large thick plate and serve the casserole that is inside the pumpkin.
- We also like to eat the pumpkin. We just eat it like squash; with butter, salt and pepper.