Amazing Homemade Caramel Apples are one of those delicious treats that I really enjoy. I have bought caramel apples and I can resist those, however these are a different story.
One slice of these amazing homemade caramel apples and you will be addicted.
Since the grand kids were coming over for a Halloween party, I decided to cut the apples into smaller pieces; that way there isn’t a lot of waste. The only thing you want to remember is that you need to eat them up quickly, or with in 3-4 hours, as the liquid from the apples makes then go soggy after awhile. No worries about that at our Halloween party; they were a hit and they were quickly eaten up!
What Ingredients Do I Need For Amazing Homemade Caramel Apples?
- Wooden sticks or popsicle sticks
- Brown sugar
- Light corn syrup
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips
- White or colored chocolate
- Crushed Oreo’s
- Favorite cereal
How Do I Make Amazing Homemade Caramel Apples?
- Wash the apples in warm water, then place a wooden stick in each apple.
- Place the apples into the refrigerator.
- In a heavy large pot, place the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and the sweetened condensed milk.
- Heat all of the ingredients on medium high heat to 245 degrees, stirring constantly so that the mixture doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Make sure that the sides of the the pan are cleaned off with a rubber scraper; that way the mixture won’t turn sugary.
- When caramel reaches 245 degrees, remove the mixture from the stove and add the vanilla extract.
- Place some waxed paper onto a cookie sheet.
- Dip the apples into the caramel.
- After dipping the apple into the caramel, hurry and dip it into the next mixture that you want on the outside; then place the covered apples on the wax paper and into the refrigerator or some place very cool so that the caramel doesn’t slide off.
Some Fun Ideas for Dipping:
- Your favorite cereal
- Mini chocolate chips
- Candy corns
- Crushed Oreos
- Chopped nuts
- Shredded coconut
- Chopped candy bars
- Crushed pretzels
- Mini M&M’s
- White chocolate, milk chocolate or dark chocolate melted for dipping
How Do I Reheat the Caramel if it Sets up Before I Have Used All Of It?
- Just reheat the caramel on your stovetop until it is melted enough to dip your apples.
- If you heat up the caramel again and the butter isn’t mixing into the mixture, you just need to be patient and stir and cook it until it does. The butter will mix in if you keep cooking and stirring it.
- You could warm it in the microwave, but warm it on power level 5 so you do not burn it. Stir and check it frequently.
Another fun idea is to have a caramel apple bar, and let your guests dip their own.
More Delicious and Fun Snacks For You:
Preparing the Apples and Dipping Caramel:
Dipping the Apples:
Reheating the Caramel:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 716Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 63mgSodium 300mgCarbohydrates 107gFiber 2gSugar 98gProtein 3g