I am always excited this time of the year when we get our new potatoes from Idaho! This year the first thing that I did was make some amazing Air Fried French Fries! Yep, they were amazing.
When I went to EFC this year, the amazing man that invented the CrispLid, gave me a free one! And for some crazy reason, I am just getting around to using it. I felt like I had to wait for the new potatoes to get here.
My son was not at home when I made these fries, so we saved him some. Usually when we have left over fries, they get thrown away. But he came home and warmed up these french fries in the microwave and finished them off. They weren’t soggy, like left over fries usually are!
I wish that I would have used this lid a lot more! I can’t wait to make fish and chips.
I was very amazed at how easy this CrispLid was to use. If you have a Instant Pot or a Mealthy Pot, all you have to do is set it on top and let it cook.
They do have the CrispLid on Amazon, and they are worth the investment.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Air Fried French Fries?
- Russet potatoes
- Avocado or olive oil
- Salt; I like real salt (sea salt)
- Black pepper
- Dried parsley (optional)
How Do I Make Air Fried French Fries?
- Wash and peel your potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes into strips the size you like.
- Cover the uncooked fries with oil, then sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Place them in the basket in an even layer so that the air can get to each fry.
- Do not stack them.
- In the instant pot, place a trivet in it and then place the basket of uncooked fries on top of the trivet.
- Set the CrispLid on top of the Instant Pot and plug it in.
- Set the temperature to 400 degrees, and the timer for 5 minutes.
- Then I like to turn the fries over with the tongs and cook them for 5-6 minutes more.
- ALWAYS PLACE THE LID ON THE MAT THAT COMES WITH IT SO YOU DO NOT BURN YOUR COUNTER!
- Remove from the basket, and allow them to cool for 2-3 minutes.
Are Air Fried French Fries Healthy?
- Air Fryer french fries are healthier than fries made using conventional deep frying in oil.
- Little to no oil is used to get the same texture and taste.
- This results in a decrease in calories because there is no excess fat that comes from deep frying in oil.
When I was expecting my last son, one day I went to a fish and chip place to eat, and when I got out of the car the smell of the grease cooking made me throw up. So the rule at my house is that there will be no fried food in my house, other wise the smell makes me sick!
Now I can have wonderful fried like foods without the smell! Thank you Mealthy!!!
I hope you get a chance to try Air Fried French Fries! They are the best and they are healthier cooked with avocado or olive oil.
What Potatoes Are Best For Making French Fries?
- High starch potatoes like Idaho potatoes (also called Russet potatoes) are best for French fries.
- This variety is more dense and they have the least amount of moisture in them.
- Avoid waxy potatoes, such as Red Skinned potatoes, as these potatoes contain so much water that they actually hollow out when you fry them because the water evaporates.
As I have told you before, I was born and raised in Idaho. I definitely have an affinity to Idaho Potatoes. My husband was an Idaho Potato Farmer for a while. I really enjoyed the Blog Post that I linked to above, named “Idaho Potatoes” by The Spruce Eats.
More Delicious Potato Recipes For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 476Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 0mgSodium 626mgCarbohydrates 65gFiber 13gSugar 3gProtein 9g