Slow cooker stuffing is a great idea, simply because there just isn’t enough room in the oven for stuffing and a turkey. That is if you do not like to stuff your turkey.
This stuffing is great because you make it the night before and then you place it in the crock pot 3-4 hours before you want to serve it! And if you want it a little crunchier, place it in the oven on broil for 2-3 minutes.
I must say that it comes out perfect!
What Ingredients Do I Need For Slow Cooker Stuffing?
- Chicken broth
- Mushroom stems and pieces
- Dried parsley flakes
- Rubbed sage
- Poultry seasoning
- Day-old bread
- Cream of chicken soup
How Do I Make Slow Cooker Stuffing?
- In a large sauce pan, combine chicken broth, butter, onion, celery, mushrooms, parsley flakes, sage, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes; remove from heat.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs in a bowl with a fork, then add the soup.
- Stir into the broth mixture until smooth.
- Pour over the bread and toss; combine well.
- This is where you would add your craisins and pecans.
- In a 5 quart slow cooker, place the stuffing.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 1/2-5 hours.
Is there a Difference Between Stuffing and Dressing?
- The terms are actually separated due to regional dialects.
- Dressing seems to be the favored descriptor for southern states, while stuffing is preferred by northern areas.
- In addition to the regional difference, there is a technical difference between how the two are cooked.
- According to most dictionaries, stuffing is defined as “a mixture used to stuff another food, traditionally poultry, before cooking.” Whereas dressing is cooked in a pan outside of the turkey cavity.
- Traditionally, chestnuts, herbs, and chunks of onion were used to flavor the birds, all of which were already part of the local fare.
- Centuries later, we’re still stuffing turkeys as a way to keep the bird moist through the roasting process and add extra flavor.
More Recipes to Complete your Thanksgiving Dinner:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 246Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 55mgSodium 586mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 5g