Nuts About Berries Zupas Copycat Salad recipe is one of the most delicious salads ever. I could eat it every day. I love the taste of the blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and the coated almonds. The almonds are so delicious and can be eaten without the guilt.
I do not feel bad because they have coconut oil, cinnamon, and maple syrup. I made this salad for our family get together the other day and it was all that I could do to keep my grand kids from eating all of the berries before I got them into the salad. They do love their berries. My weakness is the candied almonds.
We celebrated Pioneer Day this week. I was thinking about what kind of pioneers we all are. We all have things that we are pioneers at. I have had health issues for about ten years and I am a pioneer at trying to find a way to deal with Lymes disease.
In 2008, I became so sick I could hardly move. I was tired all the time and I felt like I had the flu. My legs had terrible pains in them, and my right arm hurt so bad that I could hardly stand it. I wasn’t able to sleep at night and it took me over a year to get a diagnosis. They put me on medication for the pain and it really helped me, however, I did not like the medication because it made me so loopy that I could hardly think straight.
One thing that I did was change the way I ate; I ate a lot more fresh vegetables and fruits. So I do love this Nuts About Berries Zupas Copycat Salad. I just started making healthier choices and I found out that I could live without a lot of unhealthy foods. I have gone back to eating sugar, I just try not to eat it too often.
And I must say that I was able to significantly decrease the amount of medication that I was on; I started with six tablets a day and now I am on one a day. My health is a lot better than it was and I have tried to keep a better outlook on life. I am always trying to help my kids with their health and sometimes they listen and sometimes they don’t.
I just hope that they do not have to go through the same things that I have, but if they do, I will be here for them. I had a lot of family members that were pioneers, and I could never have walked the path that they walked. But I am sure that they look down at us and wonder how we do what we do in this ever-changing world.
We are so blessed to have so many different options now a days. When you go to the store, the sky is the limit. However, I try to do most of my shopping on the outside perimeter of the store. And, there are even some pretty good choices at some of the restaurants.
I do get a little picky when it comes to eating out because what we eat is not a diet, it is a way of life. I love Nuts About Berries Zupas Copycat Salad, and I love making it myself because I know just exactly what is in it. Try it and I think that you will love it as much as we do. Take care of your health and enjoy your summer.
- 1 cup Romaine lettuce (iceberg or any other greens)
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 cups fresh berries (like strawberries, blackberries, blueberries or raspberries)
- 1 Tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup or sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk or regular milk
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise or plain yougurt
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ¾ Tablespoon poppy seeds
- Wash and dry the lettuce, spinach and the berries.
- Place them in a medium side bowl.
- Place the coconut oil in a small frying pan, over medium to medium-low heat, and melt the coconut oil.
- Add the maple syrup, vanilla, and the cinnamon; stir until blended.
- Place the almonds in the pan and coat them with the mixture.
- Stir continually for about 5 - 7 minutes.
- Remove them from the heat, and let them cool on a piece of wax paper, or a plate that has been greased.
- Combine the milk, vinegar, mayonnaise, honey, and poppy seeds.
- Mix well.
- You can either place the dressing on the whole salad or place a small amount on each individual plate.