Won’t these be a perfect treat for those summer days when kids are out of school? How about summer potlucks? Wherever you take these honey cookies, you can feel great about serving them.
Honey cookies are a nice change from chocolate chip cookies and you can feel good about serving them. Honey Cookies have coconut oil, honey, and cinnamon and we all know that those things are good for you.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make Honey Cookies?
- 2/3 cup coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Sugar Cinnamon Outside:
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
How Do I Make Honey Cookies?
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2/3/cup oil and 3/4 cup sugar.
- Add in the 1/3 cup honey, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well.
- Add 2 1/4 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix until blended.
Cinnamon Sugar Outside:
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 Tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Form dough into 1″ balls and roll in the cinnamon/sugar combination.
- Bake on a baking sheet @ 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
I remember growing up and making cookies and my brothers always sneaking in the dough. I would always tell them to get out and they would always sneak more. I know that it was okay for me to sneak some cookie dough because I was the one making the cookies.
How about you, do you sneak in the cookie dough? I know we aren’t suppose to eat raw cookie dough, but I’m not, I’m just eating cookie dough. LOL.
Why Use Honey When Baking?
- Honey is a natural sweetener.
- It also provides exceptional flavors in bakery foods, from cookies to breads and rolls to cereals.
- It sweetens bakery foods naturally, and gives bakers a natural alternative to other sweeteners.
- I have to admit that I just feel like these Honey Cookies are a little healthier because I used some honey instead of all sugar.
The Proportions of Glucose and Fructose in Honey and Sugar are Different:
- sugar is 50 percent fructose and 50 percent glucose
- honey contains 40 percent fructose and 30 percent glucose
The remainder of honey consists of:
- minerals, including magnesium and potassium
These additional components may be responsible for some of the health benefits of honey.
Sugar is higher on the glycemic index than honey, meaning it raises blood sugar levels more quickly. This is because it has a higher fructose content, and doesn’t have any trace minerals.
Honey does have slightly more calories than sugar, but it is sweeter, so less may be required to achieve the same level of sweetness.
Honey Enhances the Flavors of Other Ingredients:
- When baking with honey, the flavors of other ingredients are enhanced.
- Organic acids that occur naturally in honey, such as gluconic acid, have been found to enhance the flavors of spices, fruits and nuts.
- Honey helps bring out the tastes and even the aromas, of cinnamon, herbs, spices or other flavors, when they are used together when baking.
So here is my story about my granddaughter today. When I was making these cookies she said to me “grandma do you need to take a picture or I can eat one”? Oh my word, kids these days are so smart. She is only 2 1/2 and she forgets nothing.
I didn’t even realize she knew that I took pictures of food and what I do!!! You never know what kids are learning from you and when they are watching. They are so valuable in our lives and it is always such a joy to be with them, through the good times and the rough.
What Kind of Honey is best to Use For Honey Cookies?
Take some time today or at your Memorial Day celebration, whatever that may be, to give an extra hug or even a high 5, maybe even give an extra compliment. Remember, it’s all about loving others for who they are, not who we want them to be. I can thank my kids for teaching me that.
What do you do for Memorial Day? When I was growing up we picked wild flowers for our loved ones graves. Now we just buy a simple flower and place it on the graves of our loved ones. That would be both my dad and mom.
They did a great job of raising 8 children and I will always be indebted to them for that. I hope that your Memorial Day is wonderful. Why not make some of these Honey Cookies and share them with your loved ones!?!
Other Cookies For You to Enjoy:
Cinnamon Sugar Outside
Serving Size 2
Amount Per Serving Calories 142Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 8mgSodium 100mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 0gSugar 11gProtein 1g