I was not in the mood for soup today, but I was in the mood for a salad. My husband had a calendar from work and it had a salad recipe in it, so I decided to change it up a bit, and boy was it good! And so I am sharing my Bacon Berry Winter Salad with you today.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Bacon Berry Winter Salad?
- Bacon or turkey bacon
- Fresh baby spinach
- Romaine lettuce
- Crumbled goat cheese
- Fresh raspberries
- Chopped pecans toasted
- Balsamic vinegar
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Strawberry preserves
- Olive or avocado oil
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic clove
- Natural salt and black pepper
How Do I Make Bacon Berry Winter Salad?
- Cook the bacon according to package directions.
- Once the bacon is cool, cut or crumble into bite size pieces.
- In large salad bowl, combine spinach, lettuce, pear, crumbled cheese, raspberries and pecans.
- Toss with salad spoons.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, yogurt, preserves, oil, mustard, garlic and cinnamon.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- If you are serving it right away, add 1/2 of the dressing.
- Use the rest of the dressing as you like; some people like more.
The original salad had pomegranate seeds, but I looked in a couple of different stores and I couldn’t find any pomegranates. So I decided that the raspberries would work well. Yes, they did. You could also use blackberries or blueberries in place of the raspberries.
You could use 8 ounces of bacon, but I like using 4 ounces of bacon. The dressing called for low fat Greek Yogurt, but I use high fat.
Another thing that I did was use only about 1/8 teaspoon crushed garlic. And the goat cheese I use, is Goat Cheese with cranberries and cinnamon!
What are the Advantages of Oven Baked Bacon?
- It’s quick and easy.
- You can make more at once.
- It’s the best way to cook bacon evenly.
- It’s hands off in that you can place it in the oven and go do something else.
- No splattering.
Links to More Really Good Salads:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 250Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 30mgSodium 570mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 12g