Chicken rice and veggies is a perfect meal for any day of the week. Just like we all like it, quick and easy. In our busy lives, we are always looking for something quick, easy, and nutritious. One can never have enough recipes for a quick and easy meal. One of the great things about this chicken rice and veggies, is that it is all cooked in one pan. We spent the day moving my daughter and her family in with us and so this was an awesome dinner to serve because it comes together so fast.
I had to laugh at my granddaughter that is three. She asked her mother if she could play on her phone and her mother told her no. She responded, “please mom, just for a couple of hours.” Funny, do we think a little one even knows how long a couple of hours are? And I consider myself pretty luck, when my kids were little and they would sneak down and watch TV, I could just flip off the breaker that was upstairs, I never even had to walk downstairs and ask them to get off. When the TV went off, they knew that their chores were not done. I never had to worry about them being on my phone unless it was the cordless! However, I wish the whole world had a timer and that they could only be on their phones for so many minutes every day and then, Zipppp, off it would go. It could tell you, you have reached your allotted time today, go get some exercise or do something nice for someone. Better yet, pick up the phone and TALK to someone!!
Oh wow, doesn’t this Chicken rice and veggies just look so good! I can’t wait to take a big bite out of that piece of chicken. Also, I used a mixture of a lot of different vegetable, but you can use what ever vegetables that you like. And the house smells so good. Mmmm I love the the rice mixed with the veggies. I hope that you will try this skillet meal and that your family will be so impressed with the fabulous meal that it is. Enjoy!
- 4 chicken thighs, (bone in and skin on)
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1½ Tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper (can use more if you like)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (thawed)
- Chopped fresh green onions
- Wash and pat chicken dry with a paper towel. In a a bowl, put soy sauce, honey, garlic, hoisin sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir until mixed. Place chicken in the bowl one piece at a time and coat chicken with mixture.
- In a 10" - 12" inch cast iron pan or skillet, over medium heat, place the oil and then chicken, add any leftover sauce. Sear on both sides, allowing the chicken to become golden brown, (3 - 4 minutes on each side). Then place chicken on a plate.
- Add the onion in the skillet, to the remaining sauce. If it looks a little dry, add a little more oil. Saute for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and then the rice, stir to flavor the rice.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken on top and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, mixing in with the rice. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Put the oven on broil and broil on high for 6 - 10 minutes depending on your broiler. Mine took about 8 minutes. When chicken is golden brown, it is finished.
- Garnish with dried parsley or green onions.