I took this lemon poppy seed cake to a bridal shower this week and the plate came home empty. I must tell you that my family was a little disappointed, but I must also admit that I attended the shower and that I took two pieces.
However, I did bring one piece of the lemon poppy seed cake home for my grandson. I just couldn’t let him down and he is young and I knew that he would burn up the calories. He even gave his aunt his very last bite. Now wasn’t that so nice of him to share!?! Ha ha.
Little did I know that he would have me burn off my calories too. Yes we hopped on the bikes and all was well until on the way home; you guessed it, he got a flat tire.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Lemon Poppy Seed Cake?
- Vegetable oil
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Almond extract
- Lemon extract
- Poppy seeds
- Raspberry filling
- Cream cheese frosting
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Almond extract
How Do I Make Lemon Poppy Seed Cake?
- In a bowl, mix sugar and eggs.
- Slowly add the vegetable oil.
- Then add in the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and alternate the flour with the buttermilk.
- Add the almond extract, the lemon extract, and the poppy seeds. Mix well.
- Prepare three 8″ round cake pans, by greasing and flouring the pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide the batter evenly into thirds in the 3 cake pans, and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup raspberry pie filling and 1/2 cup cream cheese frosting (recipe below).
- Place the filling on top of two of the cakes, then put one of those cakes on the other one. Add the cake that does not have filling on top of those 2 cakes.
- Then frost the entire cake with the cream cheese frosting.
- Garnish with more raspberry filling.
- In a medium bowl, mix the butter and the cream cheese.
- Add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Mix in 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract.
I don’t know about where you live, but here you have to stay on the path or you will get these awful thorns in your tires; we call them goat thorns. I think that it is because they are like the shape of a goat; they have two sides like horns coming out and then one coming down like their beard.
Whatever the reason, they are not our friends and so we try to stay on the path and away from them, otherwise you will be just like us and get to walk your bike home. That’s okay, it was still nice to get out in the beautiful 74 degree weather that we are having.
The birds were singing and the ducks were having a great time playing in the water. I think that sometimes animals have it figured out; play, sleep and eat, and then play, sleep and eat some more. Let’s all try a little bit more of that this week. Good luck. Just make sure this yummy lemon poppy seed cake is on your list.
More Decadent Cakes For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 435Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 73mgSodium 1466mgCarbohydrates 183gFiber 1gSugar 160gProtein 6g