Cream of mushroom soup that is made from scratch. It is perfect for all occasions. It comes together in about 40 minutes and it tastes so much better that the cans of Cream of Mushroom soup that you buy at the store.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Cream of Mushroom Soup?
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh mushrooms, (brown)
- Dried thyme
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Beef bouillon cube
- Black pepper
- Heavy cream, or half and half
- Parsley or thyme for garnishing
How Do I Make Cream of Mushroom Soup?
- In a large kettle or pot, place the butter, oil and the onion, and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Place the mushrooms in the pot, along with the thyme, and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Next add the flour and stir.
- Add the broth, the bouillon cube, salt, and pepper, and stir.
- Allow the mixture to cook over low heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring once in awhile, allowing the soup to thicken.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cream, allowing the soup to simmer.
- Do not boil the soup.
- Garnish as desired and enjoy.
What Mushrooms are Good to use in Cream of Mushroom Soup?
- I used fresh portabello Mushrooms, as they have a better flavor for soup than the regular white ones.
- Fresh brown or cremini mushrooms are also good choices for this recipe.
- Or you could use a combination of your favorite mushroom varieties.
What Herbs are Good in Cream of Mushroom Soup?
- If you do not have thyme, some of the herbs you could use are: rosemary, chives or oregano,
- I also garnished my soup with fresh parsley.
Tips and Tricks for Cream of Mushroom Soup?
- You may also use half and half if you do not have cream, however your soup may not turn out as thick, but the flavor will still be amazing.
- Feel free to add more salt and pepper if you wish.
- And don’t forget that the flour is used to thicken the soup.
- A lot of different soups call for butter and flour, making them the perfect texture.
- Make sure that you stir it well so that you do not end up with clumps.
More Tasty Soup Recipes For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 297Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 64mgSodium 1031mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 5g