Crock pot chicken noodle soup is so good for the body and good for the soul. I love having a warm bowl of soup now that the weather has gotten a little colder. It seems like I want to make soup every day. For me that is fine, but for my son that doesn’t care for soup, not so much. Well maybe he deserves it. I made cookies today and what did he call them? (No rise cow pies!) Ya they won’t be going on the blog. Ha ha.
I guess the thing that I love the most about a crock pot and soup, you can forget about it, go about your day, come back in a few hours and there is the most wonderful dinner ever!! Oh ya I like to make a little cornbread to go with it. That is heaven on earth.
Well, I looked out the window and what did I see? I saw snow on top of the mountain! I hope that we get just a little bit more fall. It does get dark early and with daylight savings time coming, it will be getting dark at 5:00 pm! I am not ready for that. I can’t complain, I know that Alaska has it dark a lot longer than we do. What can I say, I just like light.
I remember when I first got married, chicken soup was one of the very first recipes that I learned to make. Growing up, my mother worked outside of the home, and we always had chicken soup out of a can. I guess that it is a good thing that I know how to cook, because, sometimes that might be the only way that you can get your kids to come back home. If you cook it, they will come. Wow, there are so many wonderful things to make, but you can never go wrong with Crock pot chicken noodle soup. Just don’t overcook it. Also, you can use any noodle that you like, just make sure to test them to make sure that they are done; do not overcook them!
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsps dried onion
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 - 3 stalks celery, diced
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pkg Mrs Weiss Noodles
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- In a medium skillet, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cooking the chicken just to sere it.
- Place the chicken in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth, garlic, dried onion, carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaves and additional salt and pepper. I use about ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 4 - 6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred, using two forks.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Add in the noodles, and the chicken.
- Put the lid back on and cook on low heat for an additional 35 - 40 minutes, or until the noodles are done to the taste.
- Add parsley if desired.
- Serve immediately!
- Do not allow the soup to keep cooking otherwise the noodles go soggy.