Great Savory hamburgers are packed with moist juicy flavor! Are you getting together for the Fourth of July? Well these Great Savory Hamburgers are the burgers for you.
Add some baked beans, salad, and dessert. Then add some friends, family and games and sit back and enjoy the fireworks! What do you do for the fourth?
I know growing up on a farm, there just wasn’t time for play, and now that I have grown up and moved to the city, I see how important that it is to balance life. Take some time to work, and don’t forget to play. I know we will be doing some “Can Jam” or some “Bottle Bash”, along with some eating which will include these great savory hamburgers!
What Ingredients Do I Need For Great Savory Hamburgers?
- Rolled or quick oats
- Beef flavoring seasoning
- Dried instant minced onion
- Cottage cheese (optional)
- Ground beef
- Saltine crackers
- Butter or olive oil
How Do I Make Great Savory Hamburgers?
- Mix the Savory, oats, eggs, salt, pepper, beef flavoring, and onion together.
- Let that mixture stand until all moisture is absorbed.
- Add cottage cheese and ground beef.
- Shape into patties (this makes about 8-10) and then roll in saltine cracker crumbs until each side is well coated.
- Sautée in a heavy frying pan, with oil or butter, until both side are golden brown and the middle is no longer pink, or place on a grill and cook until done!
Additional bun and toppings:
And so the other day I decide to take my grandson over to a pond near my home to feed the ducks. I road my bike and he road the scooter. When we got to the pond, there weren’t that many ducks. But we did feed a few and that was a lot of fun.
Then he asked me if he could put his feet in the water, and I thought, sure there is no harm in putting your feet in the water. We were sitting next to a spot where the water was running into the pond and he took his shoes off. I went to get my bike and the scooter because we had left them over where we were feeding the ducks.
Then my grandson says to me, “grandma my shoe is in the pond”. I am thinking are you kidding me? How does this happen? This is the same pond that my son lost his phone in the bottom of about 6 weeks ago and it is nasty!
So I went over by him and we started looking for a stick or something to reach this shoe. We found one and as soon as we went over by the shoe the water gushed out and made the shoe go out farther!!
How do I make Hamburger Patties?
- The best way I have found to make hamburger patties is to roll the hamburger into a ball and then place the hamburger ball onto a cutting board or wax paper, and then flatten the hamburger ball with the bottom of a glass.
Some important tips when making Hamburger Patties:
- Keep the hamburger cold as much as possible
- Do not overwork the hamburger; handle it as little as possible
- Keep your hands and work area clean
- Wash your hands and work area as soon as you are done making the Hamburger Patties
Making the Perfect Hamburger Patty:
- Keep in mind that the higher the fat content of the meat, the more the hamburger patties will shrink as they cook.
- It is a good idea to make the hamburger patties the same size so they cook at the same rate, avoiding undercooked large burgers and overcooked small burgers.
- When you flatten the hamburger ball with the bottom of a glass, make sure to keep your edges a little thicker than the center and make sure that the edges don’t have cracks between the meat, but that you have a solid uniform hamburger patty.
- Hamburger patties shrink as they cook, and this will help to keep the edges from breaking apart.
- Cook the hamburger patties soon after making them.
- If you do want to prepare your patties ahead of time; stack your hamburger patties up with pieces of wax paper between each patty.
- Wrap the stack tightly in foil and refrigerate until ready to cook.
So my grandson said that he would swim out and get the shoe, and I am thinking, there is no way you are getting in that water because if something happens, #1: I am not getting in that disgusting water, and #2: we would both drown because I am not a very strong swimmer.
I thought to myself, I will gladly buy you a new pair of shoes, and be happy doing so. Well, I just happened to look up and see this kid with one of those blow up rafts and he was rowing. So I quickly went over to him and asked him if he wouldn’t mind getting the shoe for us, because thank heavens it was still floating.
What is Savory?
- Savory is a herb best known for its culinary powers.
- Summer savory has a peppery taste much like thyme.
- Savory blends well with basil, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, and other herbs.
If I don’t have Savory, what can I substitute for it?
- Thyme, Marjoram, or Sage can be substituted for Savory.
This sweet young man paddled over to the shoe and got it out! Hooray! That kid saved the day for us. I hope that I can pay him back some day in some way, and if not him, then someone else.
However, you know there are worse things than a shoe. That night when my daughter was going to work, someone hit her car.
You know when there is so much traffic and you are trying to make a left hand turn, and the first two lanes of traffic are so nice and let you through. Well when you are in a smaller car and can’t see the person coming through and you are in the third lane trying to go right, ya my husband has taught me don’t do it!
Don’t let people through unless you are watching that right side of you for them and don’t be the one sneaking through. Go turn around and make a right hand turn, it is worth a few extra minutes. So remember this Fourth of July, be careful and hug those you love. Happy Fourth! And don’t forget to enjoy some Great Savory Hamburgers.
More Delicious Sandwiches For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 270Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 105mgSodium 416mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 22g