Hearty minestrone soup is so thick and yummy. I just had to make some. The weather where I live has been very snowy and cold. So I decided that it was time for some soup.
I love garbanzo beans or chick peas (same thing), but if you don’t, you can replace them with any kind of bean that you like. Top it off with Parmesan cheese, and you have some good soup. Just add corn bread or a bread stick and you are set!
The other day I made some minestrone soup with a packet, and let me tell you, there is no comparison. This hearty minestrone soup is loaded with wonderful vegetables. I do love a good soup and I love to warm up on these cold winter days.
I think I might have told you before, every night when I was growing up, we would have Campbell’s soup. My mother worked out of the home and so we would open a can of soup. There were a lot of different kinds that we could chose from.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Hearty Minestrone Soup?
- Chicken broth
- Garbanzo beans
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Small shell pasta
- Dried basil
- Dried thyme
- Diced Italian tomatoes or regular diced tomatoes with 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Tomato soup
- Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
How Do I Make Hearty Minestrone Soup?
- In a large sauce pan, stir together broth, beans, vegetables, onion, pasta, basil, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cooked chicken, zucchini, tomato soup and 1 soup can of water.
- Return to boil and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until pasta is done.
- Top with Parmesan cheese or mozzarella.
I remember we had this kid come and stay at our house because he wasn’t getting along with his step dad, and we opened a can of soup. He ate all of the noodles, I can still remember that it was chicken noodle soup and all that he left my brother was the juice.
He only stayed a week, and then he went home, I am not sure how well that went, but it is what it is. It was a little stressful to have him staying there, and so I was rather relieved when he left. However it would have been nice a few years later when I had to milk the cows.
I am not sure why we never ate anything besides soup. I know that I grew up on the farm, and we usually ate meat and potatoes. I do not remember eating spaghetti or lasagna, we did have tacos once in a while, but I do not remember too many meals besides meat and potatoes.
Tips and Tricks For Hearty Minestrone Soup:
- If you have family like mine and they do not like garbanzo beans, you could always use green beans.
- If you do not want chop and onion, add 2 Tablespoons of dried or 4 tablespoons of frozen.
- I like to boil my chicken and then save the juice and use it as part of the broth.
My husband told me that it looks like mama’s soup surprise. Our oldest daughter use to come home and sing us that song. I have since forgotten how it goes. Something like chicken lips and lizard hips— you might know the rest of the song.
I promise you that there was nothing of the sort in it. I did have a few extra vegetables in the fridge that I threw in. So if you have some extra vegetables, I suggest you throw them in too.
More Tasty Soups For You:
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 194Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 36mgSodium 583mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 4gSugar 8gProtein 17g