Creamy potato ham soup is so delicious and came together in about 30 minutes. I had some ham that was left over in the freezer from Easter that I needed to use up and this was perfect. I am always happy to use food that I have on hand.
To be honest, sometimes when it is pouring rain outside like it was today, I use what I have. It was also a little cooler and so I decided that soup was perfect. And indeed it was. This has a nice creamy buttery taste with some ham, carrots and celery added to it.
Now I just wish that I had a loaf of my basic white bread to go with it. I’ll bet you think that I have food just waiting to be eaten all of the time. Sometimes, I do, but sometimes just like at your house, I have no clue what to have for dinner!
What Ingredients Do I Need For Creamy Potato Ham Soup?
- Unsalted butter
- Garlic Cloves
- Chicken broth
- Chicken bouillon
How Do I Make Creamy Potato Ham Soup?
- In a large dutch oven or medium pan, add the butter.
- Then saute the onion, carrots, and celery.
- Then add the potatoes and the ham, stirring.
- Add the garlic cloves and saute.
- Next add the flour, stirring until it is mixed in.
- Stir in the broth, and bouillon, and cook until the vegetables are nice and tender.
- Reduce heat to low and add the milk stirring while it continues to thicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Yep, now the cat is out of the bag and I have to confess. I am not the mom who has food every time you are starving. My mother-in-law sure was good at that and since it is her birthday, I have been thinking of her.
i miss her cooking and the amazing woman that she was. I felt that she died way too soon. 65 years old is pretty young and getting younger every year. My dad also died at 65. So this Memorial Day I celebrate our (my husband’s and my wonderful parents) that sacrificed so much for us.
How we love them and we miss them and we hope that we are living our lives good enough that they would all be proud.
Does the Ham Need to be Cooked Before Adding it to this Creamy Potato Ham Soup?
Yes it does.
Are All Hams Already Cooked?
What are the Best Potatoes for this Soup?
I use Russet potatoes for this recipe. Russets become soft and creamy during cooking, absorbing all the delicious flavors in the broth. Russets are also really starchy, which helps thicken the soup a little.
If you want firmer, chunkier cubes of potato that hold their shape during cooking, you can swap out the Russets for the same amount of red-skinned potatoes or Yukon golds.
How Much Salt Should I use in Creamy Potato Ham Soup?
Potatoes tend to need salt to taste good. Ham has plenty of sodium. That is one of the reasons that potatoes and ham taste so good together.
The sodium content tends to vary for each ham, so you do need to taste and adjust for salt, every time. Also each person tends to like their food with different levels of salt. If the soup seems bland, add salt until it is no longer bland. If the soup is too salty for you, just add more potatoes.
More Tasty Soups For You:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 large carrots sliced (about 1/4" thick)
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 2 1/2-3 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ham, cooked and cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons of chicken bouillon (I use better than bouillon)
- 3 cups milk, I used 2%
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven or medium pan, add the 1/3 cup butter.
- Then saute the small onion, 2-3 large carrots, and 1/3 cup celery for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add the 2 1/2-3 cups potatoes and the 1 cup ham, stirring for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the 2 cloves garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Next add the 1/4 cup flour, stirring until it is mixed in; the mixture will start to thicken.
- Stir in the 2 cup broth, and 2 teaspoons bouillon, and cook until the vegetables are nice and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the 3 cups milk stirring while it continues to thicken, this takes about 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. about 1/2 teaspoon of salt (depends on the ham) and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
Amount Per Serving Calories 313Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 40mgSodium 631mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 12g