Crazy cake is anything but crazy! This cake is so moist and delicious that you will have a hard time resisting just one piece! I remember when my mom gave me this recipe over 30 years ago. And it is still one of our favorites! I think it is called crazy cake because to tell you the truth, you can just put everything in the bowl, turn it on and mix it for 3 minutes. Then bake the cake and you will be so happy with your results. Maybe it is crazy cake because it is crazy delicious!!
So this morning when I started making this cake, I had no idea that I would be giving it to a family in my neighborhood who is very special. Their dad/husband has been fighting cancer for 5 years. And he was finally relieved from his pain. They started out as a cute little couple who could not have children. So the two of them went to another country to get their daughter that they would adopt. When they got there, their daughter had a sister, and they couldn’t leave her. Well, just before they got ready to leave, they found out that there was still one more sister. And so they brought home 3 little girls. They have done an amazing job raising them. They have grown into beautiful young women, inside and out. Now for the rest of the story. When she got home, she found out that she was expecting! Yes, and 8 months later, they had a little boy. Two years later, they had a beautiful little girl making five amazing children. The youngest is 10 and the oldest is 19. The 19 year old is going on a mission for her church and she leaves the day after her father’s funeral. One neat thing about her mission, is that her father went to Peru and she too will be going to Peru. What amazing examples of faith and courage .How we love this family, and we wish we could take their pain away. But the only way to take away the pain is to take away the love.
So I invite you today to make a cake for someone and let them know that you love them and that you are thinking about them. Life is short; enjoy every moment. Lots of LOVE to you all.
- 1 cup butter or oil (I use butter)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 3 ounces of cream cheese
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 - 2 tablespoons of milk (the consistency that you like)
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter (softened), sugar and eggs; cream them together.
- Add the vinegar to the milk, it makes it like buttermilk.
- Then add it to the bowl, along with the cocoa, water, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, flour and the salt.
- Mix everything for 3 minutes on medium.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes in a 9" X 13" cake pan.
- Remove from oven, let cool completely, and then frost.
- In a mixing bowl, add the butter, and cream cheese. Cream together.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Add just a little milk to the consistency that you prefer.